How to issue a notice of disassociation

If you have financial ties with someone, their credit rating can positively or negatively affect yours. This means anyone you hold a joint mortgage or joint account with can affect whether or not you are accepted for other forms of credit. So once these ties have been broken, it’s very important to let the credit reference agencies know and you do this by issuing a notice of disassociation.

Download a disassociation form

Read on to find out more and discover what to do if someone else’s credit history, who you are no longer financially linked to, is still affecting your credit applications.

What is a notice of disassociation?

A notice of disassociation is a request from you to TransUnion to remove financial associates from your file. Following various checks to ensure the financial association has genuinely ended, TransUnion will then remove the financial associate from your file.

Once the association has been removed, that other person’s credit rating will not be taken into account when lenders are assessing how creditworthy you are.

Who needs a notice of disassociation?

If you no longer have any joint financial arrangements with a third party, then you should apply to have the association removed from your credit file.

You may have separated from your partner with whom you had a joint mortgage. Maybe you no longer share a joint account but it’s still recorded on your credit report.

It is essential to regularly check that your financial associates are correct and you can do this by checking your credit report.

Read our guide for more information about how to get your credit report.

What is a financial associate?

A financial associate is anyone you share financial ties with. It could be a partner or spouse with whom you have taken out a joint mortgage. It could even be housemates who are purchasing a television together.

Some financial associates are permanent and others are more short-term – particularly if you are buying something together and paying for it over a short period of time. However, no matter what the reason you are financially linked, your credit histories will affect each other’s credit ratings when you apply for other forms of credit.

So if your partner has a bad credit rating and yours is good, it could jeopardise your chances of getting credit if your are financial associates. This is the reason it’s essential to confirm any financial ties that no longer exist using a note of disassociation.

How can other people’s credit histories affect mine?

Your financial associates are just one more contributing factor to the lender’s decision whether or not to give you credit.

Before you are accepted for a loan or a mortgage, lenders want to make sure you can afford to pay it back. This involves assessing your other financial ties and commitments.

For example, if you and your spouse share a mortgage and your spouse loses their job, you are likely to have to pick up their half of the payments. And this could affect your ability to pay off other debts, which potential creditors will take into account when deciding whether to give you credit.

How to check your financial associates

Checking who your financial associates are is as simple as checking your credit report.

If you’re looking to find more information about your credit profile, click the link below:

Statutory Credit Report – For a basic credit report and to make sure fraudulent activity is not happening in your name, you have the statutory right to access your personal credit information.

In the ‘connections’ section of your report, you’ll be able to see the names of everyone you have financial links with – and if any of them are incorrect, you can issue a notice of disassociation to notify potential lenders of the error.

How to issue a notice of disassociation

Before you can disassociate yourself from former financial associates, you must ensure any joint accounts have been closed and transferred to a single name.

You can then contact TransUnion at to request a disassociation.

You must provide full details of the person you wish to financially disassociate with, including their name and current address.

For more information about how to check your credit report for incorrect information, read our guide to checking your credit report.

And for more frequently asked questions about credit reports, return to our main Consumer Help Section.